Boxing: Marco Antonio Rubio vs Gennady Golovkin Matche



The train keeps moving down the tracks for unbeaten middleweight titlist and knockout sensation Gennady Golovkin.

Less than three months removed from a third-round TKO of former titlist Daniel Geale during Golovkin's successful debut at New York's Madison Square Garden, the native of Kazakhstan is heading west.

Golovkin (30-0, 27 KOs), who stays busier than just about any top-tier fighter as he looks to build his brand, makes his West Coast debut on Saturday when he faces interim titlist Marco Antonio Rubio (59-6-1, 51 KOs) at the StubHub Center in Carson, California.

The fight, which has been dubbed "Mexican Style," sold out so quickly that the venue has continued to add additional seats, including a standing-room only section. Although Saturday will be Golovkin's first fight in California, he has built a significant presence there in recent years by holding his training camp in Big Bear.

Golovkin, 32, took time away from training to talk with ESPN.com about his growing popularity and more:

Why is it so important for you to be making your West Coast debut?
I'm very happy. I'm very excited to fight in California. I always enjoy attending fights at the StubHub Center. I have a lot of friends from California who support me. It is very important for me. This is a big fight for me.

How surprised were you at how quickly the tickets sold for this fight?
Not too surprised. But it's very interesting how quick they sold in the first two weeks. It's a very good position for me and for my show. Thank you to my fans, first. This is very important for me.

What have you done differently in this training camp to prepare for Rubio?
Mostly the same, but it has been a little bit different. I have had a longer training camp this time because I need time to heal in between. My last fight was very short with just three or four rounds. So I need to prepare for a 12-round fight because Marco Antonio is very smart. He is a good fighter. He has a big punch and I need to prepare for more than just one punch or a lucky punch.

What does Rubio bring to this fight that is different from your recent opponents?
He has power. I saw a lot of his fights. He is smart, very smart. He has a lot of knockouts and a very good record, with 51 knockouts in his 66 fights. He's a smart guy and he understands his situation. Right now he is WBC interim champion, so for him this is a unification fight.

You scored a spectacular knockout of Daniel Geale in your last fight. How happy are you with that performance?
Thank for you calling it that. This was just hard work every day. I was ready for Daniel in my last fight. I think it just came down to different styles. I respect Daniel and he is an ex-champion. He's from Australia. But I live and train the last four years in California, and it is just a different class of boxing style.

You were ringside at a recent middleweight title elimination bout where Hassan N'Dam defeated Curtis Stevens by unanimous decision. What did you think of his performance?
I remember it not as ugly or an ugly fight, but that N'Dam used a running tactic. Maybe it was effective for him, but it's not good for fans or TV. He won with running plans, and for me it was just too much. I like to fight. I like good defense and boxing. But this was not boxing. It was more athletic and running. I like more of a boxing style.

N'Dam recently said he is the only fighter with the style that will give you difficulty. What do you think of that statement?
[Golovkin laughs] I've said it for a long time -- maybe two to three years, every single month -- I'm ready. I'm ready for everybody. Why not? Why not? This is a good fight, a good fight ahead. It's very interesting for me. It's very interesting. [Whether it's] against Hassan or not, I'm ready [for anyone].

What was your reaction to Canelo Alvarez signing a long-term deal with HBO?
My opinion is that it's a big deal for fans and a big deal for Oscar De La Hoya. I think this is a good position for Canelo. It's much better for everybody. It's much better for fans because he can fight with Miguel Cotto first, and maybe with me, or maybe with [Julio Cesar] Chavez Jr. There are a lot of big fights. It's very good for not just fans, but for boxing and sports.

The promotion for your fight against Rubio is called "Mexican Style." Why do you believe the Mexican fans have taken to you so quickly?
I respect and say thank you to my Mexican fans. They like my style, my "Mexican Style." I know I can give them a big present with a big show and a dramatic show. It's very important for everybody.

Will you be satisfied with anything less than a knockout against Rubio?
This is boxing, so I want a knockout. But I don't know. This is boxing. Marco Antonio is a smart guy. This is a big fight for him, but a big one for me too. I will try.